13,112 Responses to “Reuniting With Your First Love…on the Net”

1. Uh oh says:

I’m having a hard time with this. You saw each other for the first time across the room (in school no less) ….and as soon as you got within reach of each other you grabbed the other and began kissing passionately? Wow.

2. EYES ROLLING says:

JOHN

So are you stuck wanting to be with her and her with you but only distance is keeping you apart?

You are both single and yet one or both refuse to make a change for the sake of your love for each other.

Change is inevitable and we are stuck in the mud if we can’t lift out feet out for something so important.

The description of your lovemaking could have been left out of your tale. Why do we need to know you have a flat stomach? Too much information and too funny.

Anyway, you must be torn by the connection or you wouldn’t be here but I am wondering if she doesn’t want a long distance relationship, then why do you want one and if you reached new consciousness, isn’t that enough to warrant a move? Nothing would stop me.

3. Have Faith says:

I’m not sure if my eyes are rolling or if my stomach is turning (hope I don’t get censored for that) but I agree – that was far too much info!

Considering that she isn’t that interested in continuing your relationship, perhaps her version of events varies slightly. Sometimes, it seems, we can be presented with alternative facts in a situation.

John, I’m not sure if your post was meant as a joke or if you are a real person…but most people don’t include details like weight and height in these types stories, so I am skeptical.

4. For you a thousand times over says:

Have Faith..

” Alternative facts” lol..that phrase has now taken a life of its own. Thank you for the laugh..I was really having a difficult time with the reality of that post and what does any of that have to do with this site. All that was, was a hook up – ; The whole post was in poor taste, real or not.

5. Have Faith says:

For you 1000 times

I learned about ‘alternative facts’ long ago…but I didn’t call them by that name then. Lol
    I think many people who are married to spouses who regularly lie and gaslight have always known about alternative facts, or as my ex used to put it “it’s not a lie if it’s my perception” and ” if I can’t remember that event and you can, then you must be making it up”. There’s always some kind of spin they can put on it.

I think you are right about the reality of John’s post…I am a person who will give most people the benefit of the doubt, but I can’t imagine why someone would post the kind of information that he did. I think it’s probably a joke, perhaps just done to encourage others to post. If so, it did work.

Maybe that’s what it’s like for most men when they ‘hook up’ with an ex, the promise of sex with an ex, what man wouldn’t fancy a bit of that? They can have the best of both worlds. Maybe it’s just women who invest too much emotionally in these dramas, desperately wanting a fairy tale romance.

7. True Love says:

I sometimes think men are more romantic than women, so I dont know about that theory, anonymous. I’m a woman by the way. I remember reading one of the articles by Dr. Kalish that said, in general, men have a more difficult time than women in getting over a lost love relationship. I don’t think men are less romantic or less emotional than women, but I think they have been conditioned by society to hide those feelings.

My first love was emotionally devastated when we broke up, the depth of which I didn’t fully appreciate until our reconnection. I knew, to some level, he took it very hard, but in my naivety I thought it was fleeting. It wasn’t. So I agree with those who say men can be as emotional or more so than some women. Oh how I wish I had fully appreciated how sensitive and caring he was. Now I get it. Too late.

I thought John’s post read like a romance novel. Perhaps that was his or her’s point, that we are somehow hopeless romantics living outside of reality. Hard to say unless he or she cares to comment further.

9. Just Once says:

I haven’t posted here in quite a while, but I wanted to come back and post a little story and a song that I believe a lot of you will really like. I don’t know if any of you remember me, but I do see a few familiar names here. I first posted here on August 29, 2014, desperately looking for others who felt the same way I did – hopelessly in love with my long lost first love. We met in high school and were together for almost three years, we split up and we both moved on – relationships, marriages, kids, and divorce, and through all that time, I never forgot her, not for a minute. At the time of my first post, it had been 28 years since she had left me, and I was still in love with her as much as I had been the day she left me.

After posting here, many people warned me not to do it, not to reach out to her as it would only lead to more problems and heart break, but at the urging of one poster here, I did it. I sent her a message through LinkedIn, and she responded almost immediately. After a few weeks of messages, texts and finally a phone call, we met for coffee on July 11, 2015, and we fell right back in love all over again. She pulled up next to my car and smiled at me through her car window, and I knew. We got out of our cars and she hugged me so tight I almost fell over. I couldn’t believe it was really her! I fell completely in love with her again right then and there. Today makes exactly 19 months since that coffee meet, and it’s been the best 19 months of my life. We live together now, and are planning to be married in the next year or so.

I didn’t come here to brag about this, but to share my story and let others know that the feelings you have for your FL’s are NOT false or wrong, it’s love, plain and simple. I am so glad that I reached out to her, and all of you should to. That’s certainly not to say that your story will turn out like ours has, but it’s better to regret something you did than something you never tried.

On another note, before reaching out to her, I had always searched for a song that perfectly summed up my feelings for her, and could never quite find the right one, until now. I wish I had heard this song before we had reunited, because it says everything I would have said to her at any point in the 28 years we were apart. It’s “This Town” by Niall Horan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic1l36GrNOU). I wanted to share it here for those of you who may not have heard it yet. If you find this song as perfect as I did, then sent it to your FL and let them know how you feel. Let them know that if the whole world were watching, you’d still dance with them. Let them know they still make you nervous, that they still give you butterflies. That it all comes back to them. Let them know you love them. It IS possible. Tell them, before it’s too late.

Good luck to you all.

– Just Once

Just Once: I am over the moon happy for you! I wish my FL could read your post. This was great timing as I have been sad lately thinking of all the time we continue to lose not being together. Gives me renewed hope. 🙂

11. For you a thousand times over says:

Just Once..

How lucky are you to have had this go right for both of you, it truly makes me happy to hear your story. Right place right time for both of you!
    I’ve been listening to that song for a few months, it sends tears down my cheeks every time I hear it. It happened again this afternoon. Unfortunately I was on a date with this really sweet guy and we were just talking and having coffee. I am finally forcing myself to go out and try to date…well that song was bad timing and i tried to drown out the song,but no luck. I was so embarrassed I mumbled something stupid and changed the subject…
    It’s so difficult to try and move on when you know there is only one person your heart belongs to…but I have to keep on trying. Maybe there’s someone out there that can help lessen the pain of never having what was once yours ever again.
    Thank you for your story, it was beautuful!

12. Have Faith says:

Just once,
    It’s nice to hear a success story here. Congratulations! I went back and read your initial post in Aug. 2014, and I thought you said you were still married at that time. Did you separate from your wife before or after meeting with your FL? Do you think your FL played a part in the separation, or were there existing problems in the marriage? I hope you don’t mind me asking, I’m always curious about how this FL connection has affected other people’s lives.