13,393 Responses to “Reuniting With Your First Love…on the Net”

1. Michelle says:

JANA: yes Maam i have it covered myselp i check it everyday no communication after he talk to her . nothing after that. you are right i need somebody to talk to… ita very hard no days i dont think of her everyday in over 1 year since they start being friends . he told me if they talk or text . my problem is me i never had a man in my life but him never had a bf because i was fucos on my studies and i graduated college never had a man in my whole life but him and i never sleep with him till day we got married and im the only woman he ever respected for that. so this is my first jealousy. lord so hard im about go crazy. worrying over nothing. thank you JANA make me feels better here i can talk …

Michelle, you have created so many comments but I personally can’t read your story, I don’t understand a word you are trying to say, sorry

3. Michelle says:

Anonymous: im sorry … some of them trying understand me and they understood i quess

4. Curt says:

I have to agree that it been difficult to understand her posts. I thought at first it was due to the ESL factor, but in rereading, they appear almost deliberatly written in a confusing and repetive style . All I was able to understand is that she is very jealous over her husbands friendship with his FL, and she has become quite paranoid and suspicious . She has followed him and checked his phone records. I think that summarizes it up.

5. Lost in translation says:

I agree these posts are very hard to read. I gave up after the first one. I think Curt’s summation is accurate.

Dr. Rob Edit: let’s move on from the ease/difficulties of the previous posts…

6. Age of Inno-sense says:

Hot Mess,

I disagree about the age of people on this board. I have been here a long time (years) and the majority of people on this board are about 20 years older than you are. Most late 40’s and 50’s and beyond.

7. Michelle says:

Wifey: will you email me blue_teddybears@yahoo.com and i will email you back and give you my number… i can talk to you … if you dont mind bacause your situation is kinda closed to mind. thank you…

8. Trevor says:

Michelle
    Aren’t you afraid your husband will notice the emails? I can’t imagine he would be happy to realize how little you trust him and that you’re doing things such as following him to the store.

9. Michelle says:

trevor:

i know…last night i mention her name and we talk and i started over again and he told me he change for me and dont like to hide thing and he should not told me about it we wouldnt have a problem . and next time he wont tell me anymore so i wont me thinking the way i think.and now im worry…do you think he will do crazy like affair for her because the way i think?he think i dont trust him and anyway he dont like email and do computer. thank you sir

10. Hot Mess Nest says:

@Age of Inno-sense That’s what I said, wasn’t it? It’s what I was thinking, anyhow, that most people on this board seem to be a bit older than I am. Just a miscommunication.

While I’m here… no significant news from me, just staying the course.

11. Have Faith says:

Age of inno-sense, I’ve never noticed your name on the board before and I have been posting here since 2014. I would agree that most of the people here seem to be in their late forties and older.

Michelle, I couldn’t really understand what you were asking, but if you don’t trust him, that’s a pretty significant problem, and I don’t think the problem has anything to do with your husbands FL. If there is no trust, there really is no relationship. Jealousy and insecurity will destroy your marriage. There is no way anyone else can tell you if your husband will cheat or what he’s thinking, etc. This is something you need to work thru in therapy or marriage counseling .

12. Ira says:

Hi y’all. I found this site because, after I got in touch with my first love, I started having feelings for her again. We hadn’t seen each other for about 40 years and then she sent me a request on facebook last year. I think part of this is reliving my youth and sharing those old memories with her. We are both married. I’m not sure if my first love feels the same way I do, we haven’t discussed that, but I suspect she might be feeling it too. It’s hard to know if I should end the friendship, or maybe the feelings will pass?

Michelle, although you addressed your last post to Trevor I feel compelled to offer the following observations:

The relationship your husband has is not appropriate given their past, the frequency of contact, and the immersion of your spouse in the day to day needs of the former love.

Even though you have expressed your discomfort with this relationship, your husband has disregarded your feelings.

While his attempt at transparency with you is admirable on the surface, the fact he is willing to continue being at her beck and call and stating he will merely just hide it from you is a major red flag.

Clearly he is getting something from this relationship he is unwilling to sacrifice, your feelings and wishes be damned.

You need to see or talk to an objective 3rd party.

14. Out of my flippin bird says:

@Michelle, none of us can tell you as to whether or not he’ll have an affair. If he thinks you dont trust him, hes right you dont. Not to be rude, but youre letting this consume you, and if it continues it’ll eat you alive.

I’m not brave enough I give myself a name or tell my story yet as I would be mortified if my first love read this and realised it was me!
    But I can say that after 30 years he got back in touch, both married by the way and has totally flipped my life upside down. It is lovely reading all your stories and great to see new names. I would love to read more from a mans point of view on all of this, it may help me understand things better, who knows?

16. Trevor says:

Hi anonymous. It sounds as though you just recently got in touch with him and then found this board. What do you mean by seeing new names here?

Hi Trevor, we have been in touch for a few years. I don’t recognise your name forgive me if you have been posting for ages. There are also other new people who comment on the odd thing now and again. I’m just amazed this forum is still going and with such momentum

18. Will says:

I’ve been married to my wife for almost 20 years and we’ve had our ups and downs. We are currently in a long up cycle, and things have been very good for about the last 7 years. But her HS boyfriend contacted her through Facebook a few months ago, and from her sloppiness with the computer (forgetting to shut her account down) I’ve seen some of their communications – and they’re heading into sexual fantasy territory.

I’ve always been faithful to her but she’s cheated on me in the past. Luckily this guy (who comes across as an idiot, if I’m being frank – he seems barely literate) is a few thousand miles away. I’m just unclear why this is happening. I understand that we all may daydream about past loves or encounters and that’s just how people are. But I’ve never looked up an old GF on social media, and I’d like to think that I’d NEVER consider getting into this kind of “emotional affair”, which ultimately can lead to no good.

I refuse to believe that there is some kind of magical love connection with a first love. My wife hasn’t spoken to this guy in almost 30 years. It’s an idealized fantasy of a high school romance. There is no way for them to really know each other. It’s so easy to say what the other person wants to hear and be what they want you to be when you’re communicating in small snippets.

I think most people have an ethical and moral line which they won’t cross, but plenty are so self-absorbed that they feel it’s OK to satisfy any and every whim, because “it’s what their heart wants”. It’s juvenile, socially-retarded rom-com thinking.

19. Trevor says:

Hi anonymous
    You’re right…I haven’t posted here until just recently. When I read your comment it sounded like you had just got in touch with him very recently, but I guess you mean you’ve been reading here for a while and haven’t posted yet..
    I haven’t posted my story yet, either. Still thinking about doing that, if it would be a good idea or not. I also wonder if it’s possible for my FL to find this website and recognize my story.

Will, very good point when you say ‘it’s so easy to say what the other person wants to hear and be what they want you to be when you are communicating in small snippets’ Maybe this is all this is an idealised fantasy, something to brighten my day and I’m sure most people want their day brightened and what better way than to chat with the one that ‘got away’

21. Have Faith says:

Will
    I don’t think it matters if this is your wifes first love or a guy she just met. If your wife is sending him messages of a sexual nature, and she has cheated on the past, you have every reason to be concerned.

Why are you concerned about a “magical first love ” connection? Is this what your wife and her FL have been discussing? Because I have to say I think a love connection and a sexual fantasy are two different things. Usually if there is a love connection, that is where the discussion is going to go right away. ..not to sex.

22. PleaseGodCanIBeWithLL says:

Maybe in some cases it is reliving youth or some sort of fantasy. But in my case, that is not so. I never stopped loving LL. I married H for companionship and friendship love, but was still in love with LL. Same is true with LL and his live in GF of 19 years….he loves her, but not the way he loved/loves me. We have a deep connection that can’t be broken in spite of all that has happened.

23. Hot Mess Nest says:

@Will You’re definitely right. It’s much easier to and breezier to talk to an ex sometimes. There’s no denying that. There’s a history there that is impossible to compete with, grammatical atrocities and all! 🙂 But I think it’s also important to ask a tough question:

If the last 7 years have been so great, why is she getting something out of this fantasy relationship?

My husband said the same things you’re saying, almost verbatim. He believed our relationship was rock solid, even though I was frequently voicing my dissatisfaction and practically begging him to work on our marriage. It was a shock to him when I “reconnected” with my FL. But now that he and I have been in counseling and are working through this each day, he’s admitted that he had put blinders on. We weren’t so picture perfect after all. In fact, there were a lot of hurts that had gone untended, lots of things from years prior that we’d never healed from. All that time, he was ignoring my unhappiness and doing the bare minimum to keep the status quo. I was pretending to be happy. It was an accident waiting to happen.

Now, this in no way excuses my own behavior. I let things go too far with my ex, and I have to seek forgiveness for that. But there’s a context here that cannot be overlooked. Can a truly rock solid marriage withstand a FL coming back into the picture? My opinion is yeah, it probably can. Even magical unicorny first love isn’t powerful enough to make people destroy a perfectly happy life.

I cannot imagine how difficult it’s been for my husband to forgive me for hurting him in this way. He could easily choose to rationalize that because I had an emotional affair, I don’t deserve to be upset about all of those things that brought us to this point. But somehow, he’s a bigger person than I ever imagined, and choosing to examine himself as well. It’s going to save our marriage.

Hot Mess Nest:

You are in a unique position here. You and your spouse are owning the situation without blaming. I am certain the FL connection for me would not have been as intense if our marriage issues could have been addressed decades ago.

I struggle with the “when is it too late” question. Too late to fix things, too late to start over? And then the clock ticking on what could be the best relationship with FL…

As to the ‘magical fantasy love’ suggestion…the FL connection is real for me and my FL. If either of us wanted a fantasy relationship, we could choose others for that purpose.

25. Love of My LIfe says:

@ PleaseGodCanIBeWithLL, I am like you, always loved FL and never forgot him.

@ Hot Mess Nest, I agree with you, if I had been happy in my marriage I would never have contacted FL. There were a lot of problems in my marriage, one of which was alcoholism which was the reason I broke of with FL and it killed any feelings I did have for my husband.

I never thought of having an affair with anyone and still don’t. The relationship with FL is not about sex, it is a never ending love that has been going on for over 40 years. I don’t consider this relationship an affair. I know technically it is but it is not in my eyes.

Crazy life!

26. Anon says:

I believe when people use terms to ridicule others experiences, such as jokingly referring to a first love connection as “unicorny” or other obviously sarcastic terms, that this is abusive language. Any type of sarcasm used to demean others experiences (or even to poke fun at your own experience ) is done as a (somewhat)covert form of abuse.

To invalidate someone elses experience, especially when you’ve never even lived through a similar experience yourself, is calculated to psychologically damage a person.

For those such as myself, who have lived with this type of abuse far too long, I say trust your own heart and mind. NEVER pay attention to people who try to tell how and what you should think or feel. If someone’s words are hurtful and demeaning, you can be sure that is intentional.

27. Hot Mess Nest says:

@Down the Rabbit Hole Yeah, I see we don’t agree, but I totally understand your point too. I’m in a strange position (and a very strange place in my timeline too) so maybe I’ll change my mind on this in the coming years. I know my love with my FL was and is very, very real, and nothing will ever change that. But I’ve lived with it for so long without acting until… until I was about ready to walk out on my husband for completely separate reasons. So for me it rings true.

@Love of my Life The part you say about not considering your relationship with FL an affair… how true! I feel the same, but am trying to call a spade a spade for my marriage’s sake. Sigh.

@Anon I expect people to disagree with my opinion as a part of life. I expect to encounter people who dislike my style, my sarcasm, and my candor. Also a part of life. I want to call out that I state very clearly it’s my opinion. If you choose to let a stranger’s calmly stated opinion undermine the validity of your own feelings, who is ultimately responsible for that? It’s unfortunate that your feelings got hurt. However, nothing I said was “abusive” in any way, and if you’re looking for a fight I have a strict non-engage policy. Have a happy day.

28. Those Shoes says:

I agree with Anon about not understanding these kinds of relationships and seeing them as ‘unicorny’. Essentially you’re stating they are foolish and not real.
    I lived for 30 years knowing that the relationship with my FL was different than any other relationship I had after that. Through the years I questioned it and wondered. In 2011, I got my answer when we reconnected. I had been right at age 18 when I knew it was different and special and that I hadn’t made it up or imagined it.
    I also think that it is unique to the point that not everybody has the experience in their lives. I’ve talked to enough people and asked enough questions to know that it’s something relegated to a few and not the masses. How people respond later on when the reconnect is established is also unique.
    Most will tell you that emotional or physical, these affairs are unlike anything else you’ve ever experienced. They will also tell you they don’t consider it cheating like they consider most affairs.
    These relationships can also be described as the only relationship that would put their other relationships in jeopardy or bring out the worst, point out the shortcomings or glaring faults in those other relationships.
    Most reconnect and are sent reeling and it takes a while to recover, if ever. If you stay in your marriage or other relationship then you are always left wondering, possibly continuing the ‘un-affair’. It will always be the one that got away or the one that can’t be resolved.
    There is a constant undercurrent of ‘hope’ that somehow, against all odds, against any possible odd there is, that it could work out. That some spouse could feel the rift and ask to part ways with you so you are free to explore fully the FL relationship.
    Some have had that ‘luxury’ only to discover the other person isn’t ready or willing to go there. They might be single too and still fear going back to a FL experience.
    It’s never resolved.
    There has been every possible scenario here. But at no time in any of these relationships would it be considered ‘unicorny’. It’s real and hard and painful and beyond passionate (even when it’s not physical).
    It outplays any other relationship even the ones who have happy marriages. They have reconnected with something that can’t compare in most all other ways to their marriage relationship. It can’t because it was first.
    If you think you’re happily married and find yourself here because your spouse had one of these relationships, you’re in for a long journey. You can bet, you will never stop wondering if that FL is on their minds. They are and always will be.
    Counseling I guess is an option. But I know that people can lie when they don’t want to give up their drug of choice. It’s like that.

29. Anon says:

Hot mess
    I’m not looking for a fight at all, nor were my feelings hurt in the slightest . I expect differences of opinions, and I value other people’s opinions and experiences.

What I don’t like is when I hear ridicule (even if it is veiled), as ridicule is often disguised as sarcasm and jokes. Since i have lived with this type of behavior for so long, I have learned to quickly recognize it.

I enjoy candor and honesty, but they are very different things than ridicule and shaming. As Those shoes states, essentially you are calling those who go through this experience as foolish and immature

I don’t believe any of us here have a right to say whether or not someone else’s experience is foolish or immature or not valid. Actually, this goes for every aspect of life…we need to respect others experiences.

30. Have Faith says:

Those Shoes
    I don’t think there is, as you seem to suggest, a “formula ” that these rekindled FL relationships follow. Every relationship is as unique as each person. Then , if there are spouses involved, that adds yet another layer to the mix, so there are so many variables to consider.

To say that the relationship is special solely because it was a first love, is also not true. Many of these relationships were not first love situations. Read some of Dr. Kalishes articles on the topic and you will see that many are lost love situations as well.

Also, from my own personal experience, I can tell you that I would never , ever, consider an affair with a FL or LL to be an “un- affair”. An affair is an affair. I would never feel a sense of entitement that allows me to have an affair because of this being a FL. Actually, I would never even want an affair, as for me an affair was never something I considered. For me , this was about understanding the past, and understanding how the past affects the present and the future. It was about understanding what makes us fall in love with someone and what makes us stay in love. But thats just me, I guess.

As for marriage counseling, I don’t believe it will help at all if someone is extremely dissatisfied with their spouse, nor can any amount of counseling take away feelings for a FL or LL . If someone is lying about their feelings during counseling, it pretty much defeats the point of therapy.

31. twice shy says:

Those Shoes,
    I agree with EVERYTHING you said. You are spot on in my case.

In regards to abusive language or ridicule, etc.:

My opinion is that, if this were a self-help group for something such as addiction or eating disorders, or whatever, and someone used ridicule to describe those behaviors , others might perceive that as abusive. Being told that your personal experiences are foolish does feel like abuse to those who are going through that experience .

I wouldn’t agree that a strangers calmly stated opinion in any way invalidates my experience or anyone’s else’s, because i think most of us here are mature enough to stand up for our own convictions and to recognize the validity of our own experiences. But I do see that the use of shaming is an attempt to make people doubt their own beliefs.

33. Those Shoes says:

Have Faith,

I was not suggesting ‘a formula’. I was stating that the majority of those here have agreed that these relationships are different.

34. Have Faith says:

Those shoes
    Different than what? Other affairs? I guess I don’t have a comparison point since I’ve never had an affair, with a FL, a LL, or anyone . What I have experienced are the overwhelming feelings involved with reconnecting with a LL . (And a whole lot of other strange things in connection to that). And I have done a bit of reading/research on the topic.
    You make it sound as though you’ve been posting here for a long time, Those Shoes, yet I don’t remember seeing your name before.

35. Those Shoes says:

Dr. Rob Edit: please stop the bickering, it’s not what we are aiming for here.

Shortly after my previous post on how much better my marriage is, the other shoe dropped. I have decided to seek counseling to try to sort through everything. This site has been helpful, however it is not a good place for a lot of details and identifying information.

Good luck all. I will check in periodically to see how the group is doing.

37. Perplexed says:

I recently, <1 yr, reconnected with my FL after being married 30+ years. The convo and connection are like we have never been apart. We have recently started having conversations via text and telephone and it has brought us both into some kind of whirlwind of emotions. They have been married almost as long as I and neither one of us has ever been unfaithful. We personally do not know where this is going and there is a geographic separation that will keep us physically faithful to our spouses. I get the un-affair statements as that is how I feel totally and the lack of physical contact puts that hard line down for us both. It is like an old friend that I can share my thoughts, feelings and emotions with who shares a similar situation. We are getting to know each others' daily life and catch up on what has happened while discussing thoughts, feelings and actions from decades ago. I am not unhappy in my marriage and have a great friendship and what I thought was a forever life with my spouse but one never knows the unexpected curves thrown at us by fate. This article and chat is crazy. I have heard that so many folks now are seeking divorce after reconnecting with a FL/LL over social media and NEVER expected I may fall into that category. My spouse and I vowed to never ever say the D word as we were committed for life but am I a failure if that happens or do we say we had a successful 30+ year marriage that ends amicably and move on to something else? I am completely perplexed.

38. K says:

Will,
    I came here on a fluke. I used to come here to read some of the stories when I was in the thick of my reconnection (a few years ago.) I’m amazed several of the same chatters are still here!
    I just wanted to say that I was the one contacted by my first love and he did not shine a light on my husband. I was going through a very transitional time at work and my fl came around telling me I was the one who got away.
    I knew he was bad news. I knew what I was doing when Facebook turned to private messages and more. I think that I have a better understanding of the reasons why I answered his friend request. It wasn’t because of him as much as he represented my youth. So if this guy doesn’t seem very intelligent, your wife most likely knows. It’s way more about getting validation. It took a long time to realize I already was appreciated by my husband. I didn’t need to go backwards. It took marriage counseling and a lot of work to stop the madness. It’s legitimately an addiction. The attention is something I didn’t want to give up. I also got a kind of sick high from feeling that he was impressed with how I’d turned out. And also didn’t want to hurt him. I hope you can go to your wife and talk to her about why she feels she needs this kind of contact in her life. Good luck.

39. Helen says:

K
    While love addiction is said to be a real affliction, it is not something that just begins later in life. Those who suffer from this will experience this from a very early age. If you do suffer from this, marriage counciling will not help, but you would need long-term individual therapy to be cured.

I think if someone does genuinely suffer from love addiction, the problems would have manifested in their life at an early age, generally as a teenager. This is what I’ve learned from researching the topic in my attempt to understand the power of this first love reconnection.

In my own experience, I never suffered from any type of addiction problems. I was married for many years, and while my marriage was fairly normal, my husband was controlling and emotionally abusive, which resulted in a general unhappiness after many years.

I think that type of unhappiness does set the stage for being overwhelmed by a lost love reconnection. Afterall, we all want to be happy, and when we are not, we will subconsciously recognize the source of that unhappiness and try to fix it, even if we don’t consciously recognize what we are doing.

40. K says:

Helen
    Your observations are interesting but I can’t think of any addictions that I have dealt with. I think that our marriage was stuck, kids moved out, feeling stuck at work and basically unappreciated. The messages were innocent enough at first until we started talking about memories. I ended up telling my husband. He insisted on Marriage counseling. We went weekly together And twice a month individually for over a year. The reason I called it an addiction is I couldn’t stop wanting the connection. I actually panicked. Seven years Iater I can go days without thinking about him. It was an oddly unexpected time in my life and I have come to the conclusion that I just needed the attention and it felt good to be admired and appreciated. In a kind of blast from the past. Kind of way.

41. Helen says:

K
    Since you had mentioned you believed your feelings were a type of addiction, that was why I responded to your post. I remembered researching that same topic a few years ago when I was trying to understand the feelings I was experiencing for my FL.

However, it sounds like my situation was quite different than yours. I had continued to have feelings for him all along ( but I managed to mostly ignore those feelings). I think it was easier to ignore when I felt I was loved by my husband. But, after many years of mistreatment and suspected cheating, I had come to realize my husband wasn’t the person I thought he was. It was at this time that I really began to think about my FL every day, and I hadn’t even talked to him at this point in time.

But I do think some people who experience this thing are legitimately “addicted to love”.

42. K says:

Helen,
    I can totally agree to that!

43. Hot Mess Nest says:

Hey there. I’ve intentionally stayed away for about a month because I’ve been trying to not obsess about things with FL. It worked for a while, and then it stopped working this week because… I’m visiting my hometown by myself, and I know he’ll be there during my trip. I didn’t plan it that way. I’m there for family reasons. It just happened.

I’m just trying to be strong and not tell my FL I’m in town, or completely breakdown and arrange to see one another. I know he misses me and is waiting for the time when I reach out to him again. It hasn’t been that long–just a little over 2 months with no contact. This was the commitment I made to my husband when we went into counseling. Things have been up and down on that front, though more up than down. But needless to say, there’s still a lot we’re working through.

I miss my FL. I miss our effortless talks and friendship. There’s so much going on in my life right now and I could really use that sort of interaction. I know I can’t–my husband would find out somehow (even if he didn’t, I would know), and it would derail any progress we’ve made. I’m battling through some rough feelings right now. Just had to get that out. 🙁

What’s worse than an addiction? Because I smoked heavily for 10 years, and I definitely could never miss cigarettes as much as I miss FL. Ha.